Thursday, February 28, 2008

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

A friend made this soup for me one day when I was feeling crummy. I loved it but I didn't love the number of calories, so I attempted to lighten it. I though it was very good, but if you like really buttery, creamy wild rice soup, this is not the one for you.

INGREDIENTS
1 T butter
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced carrots
4 T flour
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 pound cooked chicken - cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cups half-and-half
1 cup skim milk

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, until all has been added. Add the flour, mixed with enough water to make a paste. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer.Next, add the rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper, almonds and sherry. Allow to heat through, then pour in the half-and-half and milk.or, if you want the full fat (good) version, find it here.

No comments: